Sunday, May 24, 2015

Brewing beer

For the first time, in my life, I brewed beer. I won't know the level of success until after the bottling and conditioning of the bottle. That's for another post. 
I had to boil 2.5 gallons of water and then I poured in the liquid malt extract. This is an extract kit and it's supposed to be easy. 
The extract was so syrupy and sticky. I wasn't ready for that. I let the paddle melt a bit in the wort. Then I switched to a metal paddle without sanitizing if it first. Then I dumped all my sanitizer before I had a chance to resanitizise my paddle. 
Things that I worry about include: did I wash my hands enough and did I sanitize enough. I don't know and I won't know the success of this experiment until after the bottles have been conditioned. 
This will require patience but I hope the wait is worth it. This kit is from Brewers Best and the instructions were easy to follow. For now, you can call me Brewmaster. 

1 comment:

  1. I would think the heat sanitized your spoon. Make sure your lid seals well on your bucket and your airlock bubbles.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments, questions, and positive feedback. Constructive criticism is questionable. Joking, a little. :)