Thursday, October 12, 2017

Hurricane Irma - September 5, 2017

Tuesday, September 5, 2017. The singers were up early, as usual. We were getting up and preparing the coffee. Before the coffee was ready, we received a call from Noel, the host of Little Deadman's Cay. The conversation went like this: "She's coming." Me, "ok?". "Yeah, the hurricane. I think she's coming. But I got you a place and you can drive my jeep." Me, "So, we need to leave the island." "Yeah, we need to get you off the Cay before she arrives."
Shocking news at 7 am.
Unexpected.
9 am. Mr. Delancy calls to check on us. I explained my brief conversation with Noel and Mr. Delancy agreed that was a good set up for us.
10 am. We attempt a quick kayak but get a call from Noel. The airline, Southern Airlines, was trying to reach us. Noel wasn't really sure what was going on but told me to call them. I call the airline and the representative breathes a sigh of relief. She explained the hurricane was coming and we were being evacuated on Thursday September 7th.
After a heated discussion on what we should do, I call the airline back just to make sure. The representative gave a light laugh and said our plane tickets were good for a year but there was no guarantee of us getting out before the hurricane hit. So I said, "ok, see you on Thursday at 8 am."
We made arrangements with Noel to take us to Max's Conch Bar for some lunch and research. To this point in the trip, we had been blissfully unaware of any hurricane coming our way. It was time to see what all the commotion was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments, questions, and positive feedback. Constructive criticism is questionable. Joking, a little. :)