Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weight loss Wednesday:Guest post

I am super excited to have Katie visiting from KTJWeighing In! Thanks for guest posting Katie!

The Power of the Scale

Hi everyone! I'm Katie from ktjweighingin.com and I was asked to guest post this week for Weight Loss Wednesday. Today I thought I'd write a little bit about the power the scale has over us.

A commercial, that I actually posted on my blog yesterday, had me thinking - why do we allow a number to define so much of our lives?

(The Special K commercial can be found here: here)

It is true. The scale has too much power over us. Too many of us measure our success based on the number the scale says. We look back at pictures and cringe. We remember stages of our life based on our weight at the time. We tell ourselves that we will do this or that activity, but only once we hit our goal weight.

I am guilty of this thinking also. It seems like I am still at the beginning of my weight loss journey, but really my journey started at least 15 years ago. I've always been overweight. I've tried tons of diets and my story is probably very similar to so many others. Things have been different this time. I've learned that to really do this that it has to be the right time in your life. You have to really want it and you have to be willing to change.

I've been changing my life for about 5 months now and I have lost 30 pounds. But really the number isn't what is important. I can't let the speed of my weight loss define my success, and neither should you!

Here is a quote I love:

"The scale can't measure your will, your drive, how much time you put into your food plan, or how many temptations you said no to. It can't tell how many old habits you broke or new, healthier habits you started. It doesn't know the effort you put in at the gym , and it doesn't care. It won't heap praise on you because you chose the stairs over the elevator or know that you passed on a slice of a colleague's birthday cake even though you wanted it with all your heart.
Most of all, the scale doesn't have any idea how hard you're trying, or how many times you overcame a slip and got back on track when you felt like giving it all up together. Only you know that."
- Kim Bensen, "Finally Thin"

So together let's stop giving the scale power and focus not on the amount of weight lost, but on the number of healthier choices we make. Enjoy life and don't sit on the sidelines waiting to reach your goal weight.

If you are currently working on making a healthier you or are thinking about starting, you can receive an awesome prize pack from my first giveaway ever!

You can win:

A copy of the book "Finally Thin" by Kim Bensen, it is full of inspiration and recipes,
A tumbler with a straw for ease in drinking more water, and
A $15 iTunes gift card to create a new work out play list.
Head on over to my blog at ktjweighingin.com to enter! Good luck!

If you would like to share your story or success tips, please send me an email: estherdavison@gmail.com. Please stay tuned for thankful Thursday!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for asking me to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by over my blog. Here is my email: saracafe4@gmail.com
    I am actually wanting to loose 20 pounds. I am fasting for a week. Starting tomorrow night. Could you pray God wll give me clarity into make some decisions I have to make. Thanks agian. Congrats for new Job, May God continue use you for His glory.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments, questions, and positive feedback. Constructive criticism is questionable. Joking, a little. :)